Saturday, January 9, 2010

Oracle Of Glendale

At a loss for any promising comida ideas, I decided to take a tip from a fortune cookie I once opened and went to visit the mysterious moai high atop the Jewel City in Forest Lawn Cemeterio. Upon arriving, I politely asked for a grounds map from the well-groomed gate keeper and began winding up the smooth tarmac (boldly passing countless deceased entertainers) to the curiously placed, and really quite outstanding, on-site museum. I quietly slipped past the snoozing guard and found the object of my quest nestled in a galeria between multitudes of Western bronzes. Not knowing exactly how to address this fragmented monolith, I simply stated: "Henry, (the name given to him after being 'liberated' by Hubert Eaton from a Rapa Nui fishing boat in which he was being used as ballast) where should I eat today?" At first there was nada, but then a soft, barnacle-like voice (similar to Alec Baldwin) gurgled: "I am small among my kind. I don't mind it here, but I miss the open sea. Think upon my rounded features, for your lunch should be likewise. Now go, and may the trade winds guide you swiftly to a favorable harbor within the next twenty minutes. I'll be timing you, that is all." As I scrambled out to mi carro, my brain had somehow come up with a suitable answer to the riddle: Har Gow (petite, filled with camorones, and globular). There was certainly no time to hit the crowded dumpling joints, so I raced to Garfield Avenue and screeched to a halt outside of Dim Sum Express. I quickly checked off my order with a 'golf' pencil on the menu slip and moved over to the pick up window. Within moments, I was sitting in a sunny park (overlooking some snowy mountains) savoring my bounty: har gow, siu mai (puerco), baked and steamed pork buns, fried dumplings. According to my watch I made it with about 45 seconds to spare, so I truly hope Henry is proud that I humbly respected his sage advice from "the navel of the world."

2 comments: