Friday, April 16, 2010

Banh Mi, On The Line!

Today seemed like a perfecto opportunity for a knock-down, drag-out Vietnamese sandwich showdown, so I picked tres worthy contestants and went for broke. The first stop was Banh Mi My Tho in Alhambra. I ordered thit nuong (charbroiled pork) on a baguette from this efficient little shop and was making tracks in no time. Next, I hit Saigon's Bakery & Sandwiches in San Gabriel for a thit nuong on a roll. And finally, I sauntered into Banh Mi Che Cali, still ahead of the almeurzo rush, and changed it up with ground beef patties on a baguette (not quite consistent for proper analysis I know, but I had yet to try this one). Before I start judging, I need to admit that I have been to several former French colonies and the so called "salad sandwich" is prepared nowhere better than in the good ole USA. I know I may catch hell for this but my research is solid (ie: scorching already dry pan over charcoal or using congealed offal slices instead of tender carne). Alright then, credibility established let's go for the verdict (note: the price at all cafes peaked at $2.50, all sandwiches contained chiles, cilantro, pepinos, shredded veggies). The chancho at My Tho was the best (so was the vibe) but the pan was a little bland. The pan at Saigon's was the best (soft and fresco) and the BBQ puerco was a close second. The banh mi at Che Cali wins for most interesting (and super tasty) with a sweet brown sauce and mayo accenting the "meatloaf". As for bonus points, My Tho scores with actually having cheaper prices than listed on the to-go carta, while Saigon's and Che Cali both qualify with an alluring "buy two get one free" deal. I thought I would surely be able to name a victor to this contest, but there seems to be a diplomatic three way tie for propiedades. Maybe I am a muy malo decision maker, or maybe I am just easily pleased. Besides, as Debbie Harry might profess you can: "banh mi bahn mi any anytime."

No comments:

Post a Comment