Saturday, December 12, 2009

Supermarket Sushi


Although it may appear that I can be overly obsessed with noodles and slow-roasted pollo (both true), I must confess that my real amorio is raw fish. This small addiction can become quite costly (as all sushi fans are aware), however in a fortunate stroke of luck I found a way to make my habit both cheap and adventurous. With K set to skillet up some katsu, I had a perfect reason to meander downtown to Little Tokyo Market Place to pick up a few bodega style cut rolls. For me, the preference for this grocery over several others lies not only in the well-planned Japanese/Korean crossover, but more importantly in the abundance of food stalls. The list includes: Japanese seafood and chirashi guy, bakery, Korean catering lady, Kimbap stand, a 'cash only' spicy pork island, and the friendly Japanese sushi chef (who really does make a damn good spicy scallop roll) . Look, I may never get to grub at Urasawa (at least not in this human form), and I may yearn for my own favorite spot, but sometimes it can be truly satisfying to stick to fundamentals. On the way out, as chance would have it, I passed by the udon/ramen/soba cafe and ordered miso ramen with fried dumplings. The soup was basic and the dumplings a bit bland, but is this case it was just perfecto.

No comments:

Post a Comment