Friday, November 13, 2009

On The Links

With a day off and plenty of sunshine, I achieved what thousands of people chained to their desks were fruitlessly daydreaming of and that is playing a round of golf. After morning coffee and a life changing article about water on the moon, I meandered up the historica Pasadena Freeway just over the border from Highland Park to the Arroyo Seco Golf Course. This 18 hole par 3 pitch and putt has been voted top ten in the Los Angeles area for years, but still remains relatively unnoticed. Many of you who know me realize that I'm not one to back down from a challenge, unless it's too hard in which case I'll take a more simplified route. So instead of using two clubs on the grueling par 3, I stripped it down to only uno (the refined putter) and played the adjacent 9 hole mini golf course instead. While I would love to go into detail about this legitimately retro landmark, let's just say that I'm glad I aced the dastardly "Ant Hill" hole, held my ground at "Big Three", and finished strong at the legendary "Wagon Wheel". Elated with a dos under par total, I took my victory march to the 19th (or 10th in this case) hole and ordered what one always feels compelled to eat at any racquet/pool/country club: grilled cheese on sourdough con papas fritas. Chased with a cerveza and the LPGA live on the tube from Guadalajara , I wondered if life could be any sweeter. Probably, but who's really keeping score?

3 comments:

  1. The mannequin on the Wagon Wheel is oddly life-like; beer served in a glass at a mini golf course is pro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The LaCock is wise, The LaCock is missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete will be returning in 2010--with more girth for your lunch.

    ReplyDelete