Friday, November 6, 2009

Georgia On My Mind

K and I took a short holiday recently where we found ourselves in the lovely ciudad of Savannah. Best known for its historical architecture, vibrant squares, and drooping spanish moss; 'the hostess city of the south' is also an excellent locale to walk up an appetite. Working on a tip from Mr. Miles, a savvy, food-minded colleague of mine, I decided to seek out the elusive Angel's BBQ. Actually, even though this pulled pork haven is nestled in a back alley, I could smell the wafts of succulent carne from a full city block away. After following my nose, our little posse arrived at the olfactory epicenter. What Angel's lacks in dining space it more than makes up in flavor. I got served a sandwich plate (pulled carne de puerco, greens with peanut sauce, mac & queso), The Food Whores and Tito opted for the Angel's Special (BBQ pork sandwich con slaw on top), and K kept it real with an order of overflowing BBQ brisket on a bun. As an added perk, most of the table hot sauces appear to be home made. My favorite was a heavenly (you knew that was coming) habanero sauce which is tangy and thick (almost relish like) with an amazing radioactive yellow color. I give Angel's a five 'set of wings' rating, which happens to be the max score on the local Paula Deen hairdo scale. Having briefly lived in Athens myself, it seems appropriate that the first remote broadcast of Comida Con Basura comes to you from The Peach State. Now, if you'll excuse, I reckon I'll go fetch me some more sweet tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment