Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Little Things

Lately I have been waiting for a moment in time to coincide when the sun is warm, traffic doesn't completely suck, and I'm off from work to take the drive down towards Gardena to seek out the secluded Sakae Sushi. With two out of three of these specs in place, I flew south on a frio and blustery Viernes to have a taste of traditional Kansai style oshisushi (pressed in a wooden box) mixed with some good old fashioned cut rolls.
The spartan menu at Sakae (since 1962) is summed up with just six immaculate items: saba (pickled mackerel), ebi (cooked camaron with sweet vinegar), inari (fried tofu placed over boxed rice), nori-maki (shiitake, spinach, kampyo {dried gourd shavings}, oboro {translucent kelp} and egg), tamago-maki (same ingredients as nori but topped with sweet egg in lieu of a seaweed wrap), and a California roll (aguacate, shrimp, roasted sesame seeds).
Despite the weather, I took this pristine parcel out to Redondo Beach to enjoy my catch (12 piece mix plus 5 slices of CA roll) in the ocean air. With a lot of work to do, I wasted no time and ripped open my present like a spoiled kid at Christmas. All of the morsels in the box proved to be muy fresco and packed with oishii flavor. I especially like that the inari wasn't stuffed with rice but on top. If I had to pick a favorite out of this elite group, I would have to crown the tamago-maki. I've never tasted tamago this unique and it's a good feeling when you eat something amazing for the first time. For that matter, I'm not even that into huevos but today I can certainly say that I am The Eggman, goo goo g'joob!







No comments:

Post a Comment