Monday, September 14, 2009

The Warsaw Pact

After K and I decided to bail on a perfectly arranged visit to the always pleasant Huntington Library Tea Room, we took the next logical step and went for Polish food. While LA does have an abundance of Russian gastronoms, our fair ciudad is almost devoid of Polski cuisine except for the appropriately named "Polka" in Glassell Park. I'm not sure this review can match the insightful energy of a recent visit from a certain TV host, but I can say I will make the attempt without cameras, cologne, or sun glasses on the back of my head. The cozy, kitsch filled dining room here creates an inviting setup for the hearty homestyle menu. I ordered Klopsy (mixed meat steaks with gravy) and Kimbap wisely chose Golabki (stuffed cabbage loaded with seasoned pork, pollo, and onion.) During our meal, I couldn't help but reminisce about running wild as a young man through the dismal streets of Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Was the food in vinyl-sided "Little Poland" really better than what I'm eating now?--definitely. Would I trade hundreds of angry Krakowites in NYC for one sweet ray of Warsaw sunshine in LA?--maybe, but for now let's just say "Na zdrowie!"

No comments:

Post a Comment